Unix System Admin
- As Telecom consultant, you will participate in projects at a Large Telecom Operator (data and voice convergence) as a technology expert in needs to have sound experience in System Admin activities in Unix environment along with an understanding of general network, web, application, database, storage, backup technologies, Automation Tools and infrastructure architecture.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and maintain documentation on Solaris/Linux server builds, policies and procedures, ensuring they are accurate and current.
- Responsible for installation of Solaris/Linux including scripted installation as well as Bare-Metal builds ensuring team standards are maintained.
- Monitoring of all Solaris/Linux servers within Laureates enterprise.
- Provide guidance on best practices for server configuration, patching and system management.
- Provide architectural oversight and guidance on all projects involving Solaris/Linux/Windows Servers.
- Support the commissioning and installation of customer projects.
- Receive and coordinate customer complaints.
- Strong troubleshooting competences.
- Support a strong Product Vendor relationship and communication with other internal departments.
- Perform tests and report on the status.
- Write and track error reports in functional area.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) documents.
- Deliver training to end users in support of use of the application, or upgrades, and enhancements.
- Perform any additional operational tasks that are up-coming during the operations.
Professional Experience and Knowledge
- Must possess an understanding of network storage concepts and solutions (SAN and NAS devices).
- Must possess an advanced understanding of Solaris/Linux networking.
- Must be familiar with Solaris virtualization (Zones, Logical Domains and Kernel Zones).
- Experience performing Live and Static migrations of guest servers.
- Must possess experience with configuring virtual networks, devices, disks in a high available configuration.
- An understanding of Oracle RAC cluster configuration is required Must possess experience administering ZFS storage for Oracle Databases.
- Must possesses a working knowledge of network services and protocols including TCP/IP, DNS, and DHCP services.
- Experience tuning ZFS storage a plus.
- Solaris Auditing experience a plus.
- Ability to develop strategic technical documentation and written communications relative to field of expertise (policies, process documents, procedural documents and quick reference guides).
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Sun SPARC Machines: M4000, M500, T4-1, T4-2, T4-4, V890, V490, X4200.
- OS: Deep knowledge in UNIX (Solaris 10/11), Linux, Performance troublshooting.
- Clustering: HA & RAC Cluster, SUN Cluster and Veritas Cluster, Redhat Cluster.
- Software: SVM, LVM, VxVM, Solaris Zones/Containers.
- Scripting: Bash, Perl.
- Superior customer service skills for interacting with users.
- Project management oriented with ability to lead project planning through implementation.
Skills & Competency
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Familiarity with ITIL is mandatory.
- Ability to communicate easily and well with both technical and non-technical staff at all levels, with strong customer service skills.
- Possess multi-tasking skills, with the ability to work under pressure
- Proven ability to work in a multicultural environment with respect and sensitivity for diversity.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
Education & Training
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited University or Education Institute in one of the following disciplines (Engineering, Information Technology, and Computer Science).